Slow Cooker Venison, Kale and Bean Soup Recipe
This slow cooker venison soup recipe is a nutritious and hearty meal on its own and will chase away the chill of winter
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
- 1 pound ground venison (including pork/beef fat)
- 4 cups rough chopped kale leaves
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2 stalks celery, washed and diced small
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can of great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat a large sauté pan to medium high heat.
- Place the ground venison meat into the hot pan and cook until the venison meat is nicely browned. Remove the venison meat from the pan and place it into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add the kale, onion, carrot, celery, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, beef and chicken broths to the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and set to medium heat.
- Cook the soup for 2 hours and 45 minutes; stirring every 45 minutes or so. Add the beans to the slow cooker and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the cover to the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes to warm the beans through.
- Serve with the Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top of the soup and crusty bread.