A look at some of the new binoculars available to bowhunters in today’s marketplace.
GALLERY: 14 New Binocular Models for Bowhunters
1 of 14
- Alpen’s Wings binocular series, including new 8x20 and 10x25 models, deliver an ergonomic, rubber-armored, open-hinge design that provides comfortable viewing and high-quality extra dispersion (ED) glass achieved through fluorite treatment. Alpen’s fully multi-coated, PXA phase correction coating further enhances their bright, crisp image capabilities. They’re fogproof, waterproof and backed by a lifetime warranty. Twist-out eyecups allow use with eyeglasses. MSRP: $242 (8x20) and $255 (10x25).
- <a href="http://www.alpenoptics.com" target="_new">Alpen’s</a> Wings binocular series, including new 8x20 and 10x25 models, deliver an ergonomic, rubber-armored, open-hinge design that provides comfortable viewing and high-quality extra dispersion (ED) glass achieved through fluorite treatment. Alpen’s fully multi-coated, PXA phase correction coating further enhances their bright, crisp image capabilities. They’re fogproof, waterproof and backed by a lifetime warranty. Twist-out eyecups allow use with eyeglasses. MSRP: $242 (8x20) and $255 (10x25).
- <a href="http://www.bruntonhunting.com" target="_new">Brunton’s</a> Epoch binoculars were designed to provide exceptional clarity, detail, brightness, color fidelity and depth of field. Rubber armoring and magnesium frames make them shock, water and fog resistant. Variable Speed Focus Systems allow locking onto the subject more quickly, eyecups locking to any height desired. Prisms feature SF glass, AL-HR reflective coatings and special design to maximize image quality. They’re nitrogen filled, tripod compatible, ergonomic and include a limited lifetime warranty. Look for them in 8.5x43 and 10.5x43 full sized, or 8x21 and 10x25 compacts. MSRP: $1,395 (full) and $960 (compact).
- <a href="http://www.bushnell.com" target="_new">Bushnell’s</a> Excursion EX Chuck Adams binoculars are 10x42s including fully multi-coated lenses and BAK-4 prisms with PC-3 Phase Corrective Coating for superior resolution and clarity. They are fogproof, waterproof and feature a wide 341-foot field of view at 1,000 yards. They’re protected by a sure-grip rubber coating and covered in Realtree Max-1 camo. Twist-up eyecups accommodate use with or without eyeglasses and the focus wheel can be locked. MSRP: $367.
- <a href="http://www.carsonoptical.com" target="_new">Carson’s</a> 3D Series binos are exceptionally lightweight, with a design including precisely placed thumb grooves and non-slip texturing to make them easy to handle and comfortable during long looks. Advanced optical technology produces superb depth and dimension, using crystal-clear BAK-4 prisms and optics that are fully multi-coated and phase corrected, the barrels nitrogen purged and O-ring sealed to assure they remain fogproof and waterproof under demanding conditions. Look for them in 8x32, 8x42, 10x42 and 10x50. MSRP: $340-$380.
- <a href="http://www.kowa-usa.com" target="_new">Kowa’s</a> Genesis/XD 33 binoculars offer chromatic aberration-free optics in 8x33 and 10x44 configurations. They provide bright images with high contrast and accurate color reproduction. The diopter control includes a locking mechanism, the prisms phase-coated and barrels filled with dry nitrogen gas to make them fogproof and waterproof. They can be focused as close as five feet and include twist-out eyecups and sure-grip rubber armoring. MSRP: $1,285 (8X) and $1,440 (10X).
- <a href="http://www.leica-camera.com" target="_new">Leica’s</a> Ultravid HD time-proven German design is a compact four-inch square, offering unparalleled light delivery and resolution perfect for low-light conditions. Lenses include durable fluoride coatings to eliminate color fringing and ghosting to ensure crisp detail, with HighLux-System HLS prisms further accentuating image quality. They also include patented Aqua Dura coatings, shedding water and resisting scratching. They’re offered in 8x32 and 10x32, both weighing about 20 ounces. Magnesium housings are nitrogen purged to assure they’ll not fog in wet conditions, and twist-up eyecups. MSRP: $1,899- $1,999.
- <a href="http://www.leupold.com" target="_new">Leupold’s</a> BX-3 Mojava Series are lightweight, low-light binoculars that offer a streamlined roof-prism design with open-bridge ergonomics for easy handling even while wearing heavy gloves. They include fully multi-coated lenses and BAK-4 prisms to ensure optimal brightness, resolution, contrast and color fidelity. They’re designed to provide outstanding low-light performance and include twist-out eyecups. Like all Leupold optics, they’re rugged, waterproof, and backed by a limited lifetime warranty. They are offered in Black or Mossy Oak Treestand in 8x42, 10x42, 10x50 and 12x50 configurations.
- <a href="http://www.nikonhunting.com" target="_new">Nikon’s</a> ProStaff 7, featuring 8x42 and 10x42 models, include bright, sharp, fully multi-coated optics and a waterproof/fogproof, rubber-armored chassis. Turn-and-slide eyecups, smooth diopter adjustment and ergonomic design ensure comfortable glassing. New contours provide a sure grip, even with gloves. They’re offered in black and Realtree APG camo in 10x42 only — each backed by Nikon’s 25-year Limited Warranty and No-Fault Repair/Replacement Policy. MSRP: $190 and $200 (black) and $210 (camo).
- <a href="http://www.opti-logic.com" target="_new">Opti-Logic</a> binoculars include fully multi-coated ED glass and BAK-4 phase coated prisms, offering maximum light transmission and image quality. Each binocular is built around durable, lightweight magnesium alloy bodies and rubber armored. They weigh 22.5 ounces, including a sleek, ergonomic and compact footprint. Each includes a front screw mount for use with a tripod adaptor for rock-steady viewing. They’re nitrogen filled and waterproof, offered in 8x42 and 10x42 models. MSRP: $350 and $390.
- The Predator Xtreme from <a href="http://www.steiner-binoculars.com" target="_new">Steiner</a> Germany now includes four new binocular models; 8x26, 10x26, 8x42 and 10x42. Like other Predator models, these binoculars utilize Dynamic Coating Technology, a sixth-generation lens treatment accentuating wildlife colors and muting haze and foliage hues. All include rigid polycarbonate chassis to be waterproof and durable. Ergonomic styling makes them easy to handle. Nitrogen/argon purged and pressurized to 14 psi to be fogproof and waterproof, they include case, padded strap, neoprene rain guard and lens caps. MSRP: $179-$499.
- <a href="http://www.swarovskioptik.com" target="_new">Swarovski’s</a> new CL Companion 30mm offers exceptional value in Austrian-built binoculars. The binoculars measure 4.7 inches and weigh only 18 ounces in 8x30 and 10x30. Unique ergonomics and compact construction make for excellent handling qualities, and pop-up eyecups accommodate any user. The full rubber coating protects from damage and provides excellent grip. They’re offered in black, green and tan and come with water-repellent field bag, carrying and wrist straps and objective lens and eyepiece covers. Swarobright, Swarotop and Swarodur optical coatings provide exceptional light transmission and scratch resistance. MSRP: $1,032-$1,110.
- Tru-Brite Open-Bridge binoculars from <a href="http://www.truglo.com" target="_new">TruGlo</a> are compact, designs with BAK-4, phase-coated prisms and have fully multi-coated lenses for high light transmission. Open-bridge design has a single, ergonomic/locking, focus/diopter wheel and twist-out eyecups with click stops. They’re fogproof and waterproof thanks to nitrogen purging, shock resistant and include no-glare textured surfaces for a sure grip. They’re offered in 8x42 and 10x42. MSRP: $440 and $507.
- <a href="http://www.vanguardworld.com" target="_new">Vanguard’s</a> Spirit ED binoculars deliver high-quality, crisp images in very low light. Advanced ED glass technology provides impressive light transmission, with BAK-4 prisms and fully multi-coated lenses. They’re lightweight, comfortable to handle, include twist-out eyecups, large focus wheel and 100 percent waterproof qualities. Chose from 8x36, 8x42 and 10x42 configurations. MSRP: $279-$299.
- The Razor HD is <a href="http://www.vortexoptics.com" target="_new">Vortex’s</a> flagship binocular, wearing premium, hand-selected HD (High Density), extra-low dispersion glass for exceptional resolution, color fidelity and astonishingly sharp, high-definition images. Lenses are fully multi-coated with XR antireflective coatings, exteriors also featuring Armor Tek coatings to protect from scratches and dust. They’re O-ring sealed and argon-gas purged to be completely fogproof and waterproof. Open-hinge chassis are lightweight, rugged and comfortable, including rubber armoring for added shock resistance and grip. Twist-out eyecups and locking diopter allow custom fit. They’re available in 8x42, 10x42, 8.5x50, 10x 50 and 12x50.MSRP: $1,279-$1,399.