Lean wild hog loin chops will benefit from several hours in a flavorful marinade, but be careful not to overcook them or they will be dry and chewy
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Hog Loin Chops Ingredients:
- 8 loin chops, cut 1-inch thick (bone in or out)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Blueberry Apple Compote Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 large apple, any variety, peeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Combine all marinade ingredients.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 cup of the blueberries and remaining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add remaining cup of blueberries and cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Place chops in a non-reactive container or zipper-lock bag and pour marinade over. Toss well to coat and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Remove from refrigerator, drain and discard marinade.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chops and cook until evenly browned on both sides, but not past 145 degree internal temperature.
5. To serve, arrange chops on plates and spoon compote over.