The dried fruit and apple juice in this Wild Hog Apple Breakfast Sausage Recipe adds a hint of sweetness, and the red pepper flakes provide just enough heat
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 8 cups ground wild hog
- ½ pound bacon, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons medium ground black pepper
- 1 cup apple juice, chilled
- 1 ½ cups dried apple, minced
1. In a large bowl, combine hog and bacon. Mix well with your hands for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and keep mixing for another 3-4 minutes.
2. Form mixture into balls, about 2 inches in diameter. Pack tightly together with hands, then place on a lightly-greased sheet pan or on wax paper. Press down lightly on each ball to form a patty. For that store-bought look, cut them into uniform circles with a cookie-cutter or can.
3. Sausages should be cooked or refrigerated immediately. If they are not going to be cooked within 3-4 days, freeze for later use. To cook, set oven to 400 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping patties halfway through.