Scott Leysath, host of The Sporting Chef on Sportsman Channel, is always challenging himself and experimenting with wild game recipes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-25 minutes
Hog Loin Chops Ingredients:
- 8 hog loin chops, cut 1 inch thick (bone in or out)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Blueberry Apple Compote Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 large apple, any variety, peeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all marinade ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 cup of the blueberries and remaining blueberry apple compote ingredients and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add remaining cup of blueberries and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Place chops in a non-reactive container or zipper-lock bag and pour marinade over. Toss well to coat and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Remove from refrigerator, drain and discard marinade.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chops and cook until evenly browned on both sides, but not past 145 degree internal temperature.
- To serve, arrange chops on plates and spoon compote over.