Wild Hog Chile Verde Recipe
Serve this flavorful wild hog stew in bowls topped with shredded cheese and chopped onions, along with a side of warm flour tortillas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
- 3 pounds (about 6 cups) wild hog shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ½ quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 4 Anaheim peppers, diced
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano flakes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups fresh tomatillos, skin removed and quartered
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown evenly. Drain off any fat or liquid rendered during browning.
- Add 1 ½ quarts chicken broth and any additional broth or water to cover meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until meat is tender and breaks apart, but doesn’t fall apart with moderate finger pressure. Drain liquid from stockpot.
- Add remaining quart of chicken stock and all other ingredients except cilantro. Simmer until peppers are very tender, about 45-60 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.