Wild Hog and Apple Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Slightly sweet from dried apples and fruit juice, and a little spicy from red pepper flakes, this wild hog breakfast sausage recipe is just what you need in the morning to start the day off right
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 8 cups ground wild hog
- ½ pound bacon, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons medium ground black pepper
- 1 cup apple juice, chilled
- 1 ½ cups dried apple, minced
- In a large bowl, combine ground wild hog and diced bacon. Mix well with your hands for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and keep mixing for another 3-4 minutes.
- Form hog sausage mixture into balls, about 2 inches in diameter. Pack tightly together with hands.
- Place sausage balls on a lightly-greased sheet pan or on wax paper. Press down lightly on each ball to form a patty. For that store-bought look, cut them into uniform circles with a cookie-cutter or can.
- Wild hog sausages should be cooked or refrigerated immediately. If they are not going to be cooked within 3-4 days, freeze for later use. To cook, set oven to 400 degrees. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping patties halfway through.